Skip to main content

How To Backup Using LVM Snapshot

I just finished doing a simple backup using logical volume management's snapshot tool. I decided to use an unused hard disk (empty) that's already a PV on my volume group for backup storage. If you intend to use another storage solution, perhaps that would be the subject of another blog post.


Create An LV

In my case, I have to create 2 LVs for each originLV I want to make a backup of. I want to make a backup of my Musiclv and my Videoslv. Also I have to create a standard LV where my backup file will end up. If you have "other" destinations for your backup file then you don't have to create these standard LVs.

To create a snapshot LV the command is:
$ lvcreate -s -n Musicbackup -L <size> /dev/vol2/Musiclv

$ lvcreate -s -n Videosbackup -L <size> /dev/vol2/Videoslv

A snapshot LV creates a frozen image of the originLV. So these are: Musiclv -->> Musicbackup and Videoslv -->> Videosbackup. The -s flag is the --snapshot option for the lvcreate command. The -n flag gives you the option to give your snapshot an appropriate name. The -L option is the size of your snapshot. There's no rule as to the size but in my case since I'm removing the snapshot LV after I'm finished with my backup, it doesn't have to be big. Snapshot LVs are considerably smaller, a fraction, of their originLVs. The snapshot LV only grow in size once changes are made to their originLV and only by how much changes there are.

We have to mount the snapshot so we have to create the directory first.

$ mkdir -p /mnt/vol2/Musicbackup

$ mkdir -p /mnt/vol2/Videosbackup

We can mount our snapshot.

$ mount /dev/vol2/Musicbackup /mnt/vol2/Musicbackup

$ mount /dev/vol2/Videosbackup /mnt/vol2/Videosbackup

We can check for the files listed there with:

$ ls -l /mnt/vol2/Musicbackup

$ ls -l /mnt/vol2/Videosbackup

Now let us create the standard LVs I mentioned before. I have an unused PV (/dev/sdd1: 3TB ) and I want to use it for backup.

$ lvcreate -L 50G Musicbackups vol2 /dev/sdd1 ##explicitly included the PV to use in the VG

$ lvcreate -L 100G Videosbackups vol2 /dev/sdd1 ##explicitly included the PV to use in the VG

A very good tip here for the size of the LV is to start small. Also take note of the existing sizes of the originLVs here. Adjust the numbers to your use case.

Filesystem                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vol1-root       30G   16G   13G  55% /
/dev/mapper/vol1-home      174G   93G   72G  57% /home
/dev/mapper/vol2-Videoslv  2.0T   34G  1.8T   2% /home/donato/Videos
/dev/mapper/vol2-Musiclv   689G   23G  631G   4% /home/donato/Music

After creating the standard LV, you have to create the filesystem.

$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/vol2-Musicbackups

$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/vol2-Videosbackups

Create a mountpoint and mount the standard LV.

$ mkdir -p /backups/Music

$ mount /dev/mapper/vol2-Musicbackups /backups/Music

$ mkdir -p /backups/Videos

$ mount /dev/mapper/vol2-Videosbackups /backups/Videos

To summarize, we have created the snapshots and then created the LV's where we'll store the backup tarballs. It's time to create the backup tarball.

$ tar -pczf /backups/Music/music.tar.gz /mnt/vol2/Musicbackup

$ tar -pczf /backups/Videos/videos.tar.gz /mnt/vol2/Videosbackup

I want to remove the snapshots since i'm only using them for backups.

$ umount /mnt/vol2/Musicbackup

$ lvremove vol2/Musicbackup

$ umount /mnt/vol2/Videosbackup

$ lvremove vol2/Videosbackup

LV            VG   Attr       LSize    Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  home          vol1 -wi-ao---- <177.08g                                                    
  root          vol1 -wi-ao----   30.00g                                                    
  swap          vol1 -wi-ao----   16.00g                                                    
  Musicbackups  vol2 -wi-a-----   50.00g                                                    
  Musiclv       vol2 -wi-ao----  700.00g                                                    
  Videosbackups vol2 -wi-a-----  100.00g                                                    
  Videoslv      vol2 -wi-ao----    1.95t 

All that is left are the originLVs and the regular LVs containing the backups.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZFS Unable to System Snapshot, bpool is Full?

I first encountered the problem after a routine update / upgrade of the system. Well there was a kernel upgrade and I have not checked how many old kernels are still left for backups in /boot. Apparently, there was a few and the partition is 85% full. Every software update included a warning because of the restriction in disk space. Also, zfs could not create snapshots. It is also full. This is not very clear to me. Snapshots were suppose to be diff copies so why would it take up a large space. Most of the snapshots are less than 2MB. Or 0MB. Another problem that popped up is the constant freezing of Rhythmbox. I don't know if the config files are corrupted. The CPU cycles from one to the next. Peaks for 5-6 seconds then on to the next CPU. This forced me to download Clementine and Audacious. But both applications do not find the zfs pool or don't show the zfs structure. Why not? My final solution is to reinstall Rhythmbox via snaps. I re-scanned the music libr

Renter's ID and Business Licensing 2023

Last year's business permit application involved an undertaking of submitting lessee list to the Barangay in order to get them ID's including one for the lessor himself. I received a letter of notification just before New Year's Day. It informed me that I might be denied renewal of permits because I did not comply with this undertaking. So the Renter's ID is a serious thing now. When I went ahead and applied for a business permit renewal at the local government office everything went well except they want my list of lessee. So I had to backtrack and go to the Barangay and submit the list. They produced the ID's and I provided the photo ID's and of course have it signed by the lessee. After that, they pointed me to the cashier to pay the taxes and permit fees which totaled php15,305.00 ($280.33) During the payment of Fire and Safety department, they reminded me to bring my fire extinguisher official receipts of payment. I can pick up my new pe

How To Verify iso Image After Download In Linux

I assume that you have downloaded the image / iso file in a folder. Navigate to the folder where the iso is. You have to get the public gpg key for fedora downloads. [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ ls builds  debian-live--9.0.0-amd64-gnome  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ cd Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ gpg --verify Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found. gpg: the signature could not be verified. Please remember that the signature file (.sig or .asc) should be the first file given on the command line. [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso