Skip to main content

Changing My RAID Array, Add A Device And Resync

My previous post discussed removing a block device and partitioning it. 

After creating the 2TB partition I can now add it to the existing array.

$mdadm /dev/md127 --add /dev/sda2        ##to add the 2TB partition (block device) to the array

$mdadm --detail /dev/md127        ##to check status of the array and component device

/dev/md127:
        Version : 1.2
  Creation Time : Tue Sep  6 02:59:21 2016
     Raid Level : raid5
     Array Size : 2929890816 (2794.16 GiB 3000.21 GB)
  Used Dev Size : 976630272 (931.39 GiB 1000.07 GB)
   Raid Devices : 4
  Total Devices : 4
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

  Intent Bitmap : Internal

    Update Time : Sat Dec  2 10:00:56 2017
          State : clean, degraded, recovering
 Active Devices : 3
Working Devices : 4
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 1

         Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 512K

 Rebuild Status : 24% complete

           Name : desktop:0
           UUID : e3284314:1258cac3:1b6c243c:748be2fe
         Events : 8551

    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8       33        0      active sync   /dev/sdc1
       1       8       49        1      active sync   /dev/sdd1
       3       8       64        2      active sync   /dev/sde
       4       8        2        3      spare rebuilding   /dev/sda2    ==>> note that mdadm added it as a spare first, with status "rebuilding".

Also check with command,

$sudo less /proc/mdstat

Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md127 : active raid5 sda2[4] sdd1[1] sdc1[0] sde[3]
      2929890816 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/3] [UUU_]
      [=====>...............]  recovery = 26.8% (262702200/976630272) finish=102.1min speed=116481K/sec
      bitmap: 0/8 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices: <none>
 
I like this command because it gives me recovery/rebuilding time and progress. I forgot how to execute it in real time. Also, I found out I could type /proc/mdstat on Firefox address bar and it will show my machine's file up on the tab. I can just refresh the page. Nice.

The resync begins automatically after I added the block device. This is all hot-plugging. I have not removed or added a physical device in actual terms.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.