Skip to main content

Changing My RAID Array, Removing And Partitioning Block Device

I'm attempting to shape my RAID to an all 2TB 3-block device array. My
current array is as follows:

/dev/sda1        3TB          active          clean     ==>>   
/dev/sda1          796GB
                                                                                             
/dev/sda2              2TB
/dev/sdc1        2TB          active          clean
/dev/sdd1        2TB          active          clean
/dev/sde          1TB          active          clean     ==>>   --fail
then --remove

My goal is to end up with a 4TB RAID array with 3 devices. Then use the
"free" partitions /dev/sde and /dev/sda1 to create another RAID array later.

$mdadm /dev/md127 --fail /dev/sda1             ##to set the block device
as fail

$mdadm /dev/md127 --remove /dev/sda1            ##to remove the block
device from the array

$mdadm --detail /dev/md127              ##to check the array status,
note the status of each of the component devices

You should see that one block device is removed now. I can start
partitioning /dev/sda1 with fdisk.

$fdisk /dev/sda                  ##to load the device

If you have not used fdisk before, it is command line only but
everything is easy to get.

$ sudo fdisk /dev/sda                        ##to load the device, give
your root password
[sudo] password for donato:

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.31).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.


Command (m for help): m  <return>
Help:

  Generic
   d   delete a partition
   F   list free unpartitioned space
   l   list known partition types
   n   add a new partition
   p   print the partition table
   t   change a partition type
   v   verify the partition table
   i   print information about a partition

  Misc
   m   print this menu
   x   extra functionality (experts only)

  Script
   I   load disk layout from sfdisk script file
   O   dump disk layout to sfdisk script file

  Save & Exit
   w   write table to disk and exit
   q   quit without saving changes

  Create a new label
   g   create a new empty GPT partition table
   G   create a new empty SGI (IRIX) partition table
   o   create a new empty DOS partition table
   s   create a new empty Sun partition table

Create a new empty GPT partition table.  This will set up deletion of
all partitions and data on the device. Only when you type w is
everything written to disk. So think before typing w.
I want to add a new partition. Type n to create a partition. I want to
have a 2TB partition and the rest to another partition.
When asked for the type, type 29. I'm going to use these partitions in
an array.

Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/sda: 2.7 TiB, 3000592982016 bytes, 5860533168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: C8877BCC-89D4-F84A-A427-46A4D2886055

Device          Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1  4294969344 5860533134 1565563791 746.5G Linux RAID
/dev/sda2        2048 4294969343 4294967296     2T Linux RAID

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

The partition seemed fine to me. So I made it permanent by typing w then
q to exit fdisk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZFS Unable to System Snapshot, bpool is Full?

I first encountered the problem after a routine update / upgrade of the system. Well there was a kernel upgrade and I have not checked how many old kernels are still left for backups in /boot. Apparently, there was a few and the partition is 85% full. Every software update included a warning because of the restriction in disk space. Also, zfs could not create snapshots. It is also full. This is not very clear to me. Snapshots were suppose to be diff copies so why would it take up a large space. Most of the snapshots are less than 2MB. Or 0MB. Another problem that popped up is the constant freezing of Rhythmbox. I don't know if the config files are corrupted. The CPU cycles from one to the next. Peaks for 5-6 seconds then on to the next CPU. This forced me to download Clementine and Audacious. But both applications do not find the zfs pool or don't show the zfs structure. Why not? My final solution is to reinstall Rhythmbox via snaps. I re-scanned the music libr

Renter's ID and Business Licensing 2023

Last year's business permit application involved an undertaking of submitting lessee list to the Barangay in order to get them ID's including one for the lessor himself. I received a letter of notification just before New Year's Day. It informed me that I might be denied renewal of permits because I did not comply with this undertaking. So the Renter's ID is a serious thing now. When I went ahead and applied for a business permit renewal at the local government office everything went well except they want my list of lessee. So I had to backtrack and go to the Barangay and submit the list. They produced the ID's and I provided the photo ID's and of course have it signed by the lessee. After that, they pointed me to the cashier to pay the taxes and permit fees which totaled php15,305.00 ($280.33) During the payment of Fire and Safety department, they reminded me to bring my fire extinguisher official receipts of payment. I can pick up my new pe

How To Verify iso Image After Download In Linux

I assume that you have downloaded the image / iso file in a folder. Navigate to the folder where the iso is. You have to get the public gpg key for fedora downloads. [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ ls builds  debian-live--9.0.0-amd64-gnome  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ cd Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ gpg --verify Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found. gpg: the signature could not be verified. Please remember that the signature file (.sig or .asc) should be the first file given on the command line. [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso