Skip to main content

How To Remove A PV

The Archlinux boot isn't going smoothly. The #2 volume group (as well as the logical volumes attached to it) is activated read-only. The temporary fix I did was to comment the problem LV's in fstab, just so I can finish the boot and log to my desktop.

The kernel is doing the partial activation of the LV's because it is detecting a missing PV. The PV in question I thought I had deleted and converted to a new PV using fdisk. The problem is LVM partition table still 'remembers' the PV. I had to finish reading my refresher course in LVM from the ArchWiki pages.

So I did some checking and the partition is indeed non-existent, deleted but LVM is still looking for it but reporting it as missing or somehow filtered.

[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo vgscan
  Reading volume groups from cache.
  Found volume group "vol1" using metadata type lvm2
  WARNING: Device for PV DLkZz4-D3rH-dODr-eaO3-h1Oa-MLe2-9OVQMz not found or rejected by a filter.
  Found volume group "ubuntu-vg" using metadata type lvm2
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo vgchange -ay
  3 logical volume(s) in volume group "vol1" now active
  WARNING: Device for PV DLkZz4-D3rH-dODr-eaO3-h1Oa-MLe2-9OVQMz not found or rejected by a filter.
  2 logical volume(s) in volume group "ubuntu-vg" now active
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo vgreduce --all ubuntu-vg
  WARNING: Device for PV DLkZz4-D3rH-dODr-eaO3-h1Oa-MLe2-9OVQMz not found or rejected by a filter.
  Cannot change VG ubuntu-vg while PVs are missing.
  Consider vgreduce --removemissing.
  Cannot process volume group ubuntu-vg
  WARNING: Device for PV DLkZz4-D3rH-dODr-eaO3-h1Oa-MLe2-9OVQMz not found or rejected by a filter.
  Cannot change VG ubuntu-vg while PVs are missing.
  Consider vgreduce --removemissing.
  Cannot process volume group ubuntu-vg
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo vgreduce --removemissing ubuntu-vg
  WARNING: Device for PV DLkZz4-D3rH-dODr-eaO3-h1Oa-MLe2-9OVQMz not found or rejected by a filter.
  Wrote out consistent volume group ubuntu-vg.
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo vgs
  VG        #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree  
  ubuntu-vg   1   2   0 wz--n-   1.82t 104.65g
  vol1        2   3   0 wz--n- 223.56g 496.00m
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo pvs
  PV         VG        Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree  
  /dev/md127 ubuntu-vg lvm2 a--    1.82t 104.65g
  /dev/sde1  vol1      lvm2 a--  496.00m 496.00m
  /dev/sde2  vol1      lvm2 a--  223.08g      0 
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo lvs
  LV        VG        Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  Music-lv  ubuntu-vg -wi-ao---- 300.00g                                                    
  Videos-lv ubuntu-vg -wi-ao----   1.42t                                                    
  home      vol1      -wi-ao---- 177.08g                                                    
  root      vol1      -wi-ao----  30.00g                                                    
  swap      vol1      -wi-ao----  16.00g                                                    

I used vgreduce with the --removemissing flag to straighten out the volume group.

Then reboot. Smooth this time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

New Converge ICT Plan Max with Sky Now

I pulled the trigger on Converge Max plan 400Mbps with Sky channels. I went to their sales office and asked for the upgrade. No charge at all and they didn't ask me to return the old modem. It looks like they will pull it when they install the new modem.e     It came with a black box for the TV. The configuration is easy but it took me 3 days to figure out the Wired connection. It should be fine except I have to jiggle it in the config (GUI). Turn 802.1x  on and off to finally connect.  Here's the speed for the Wired connection: