Monday, February 13, 2017

How To Remove A PV

The Archlinux boot isn't going smoothly. The #2 volume group (as well as the logical volumes attached to it) is activated read-only. The temporary fix I did was to comment the problem LV's in fstab, just so I can finish the boot and log to my desktop.

The kernel is doing the partial activation of the LV's because it is detecting a missing PV. The PV in question I thought I had deleted and converted to a new PV using fdisk. The problem is LVM partition table still 'remembers' the PV. I had to finish reading my refresher course in LVM from the ArchWiki pages.

So I did some checking and the partition is indeed non-existent, deleted but LVM is still looking for it but reporting it as missing or somehow filtered.

[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo vgscan
  Reading volume groups from cache.
  Found volume group "vol1" using metadata type lvm2
  WARNING: Device for PV DLkZz4-D3rH-dODr-eaO3-h1Oa-MLe2-9OVQMz not found or rejected by a filter.
  Found volume group "ubuntu-vg" using metadata type lvm2
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo vgchange -ay
  3 logical volume(s) in volume group "vol1" now active
  WARNING: Device for PV DLkZz4-D3rH-dODr-eaO3-h1Oa-MLe2-9OVQMz not found or rejected by a filter.
  2 logical volume(s) in volume group "ubuntu-vg" now active
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo vgreduce --all ubuntu-vg
  WARNING: Device for PV DLkZz4-D3rH-dODr-eaO3-h1Oa-MLe2-9OVQMz not found or rejected by a filter.
  Cannot change VG ubuntu-vg while PVs are missing.
  Consider vgreduce --removemissing.
  Cannot process volume group ubuntu-vg
  WARNING: Device for PV DLkZz4-D3rH-dODr-eaO3-h1Oa-MLe2-9OVQMz not found or rejected by a filter.
  Cannot change VG ubuntu-vg while PVs are missing.
  Consider vgreduce --removemissing.
  Cannot process volume group ubuntu-vg
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo vgreduce --removemissing ubuntu-vg
  WARNING: Device for PV DLkZz4-D3rH-dODr-eaO3-h1Oa-MLe2-9OVQMz not found or rejected by a filter.
  Wrote out consistent volume group ubuntu-vg.
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo vgs
  VG        #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree  
  ubuntu-vg   1   2   0 wz--n-   1.82t 104.65g
  vol1        2   3   0 wz--n- 223.56g 496.00m
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo pvs
  PV         VG        Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree  
  /dev/md127 ubuntu-vg lvm2 a--    1.82t 104.65g
  /dev/sde1  vol1      lvm2 a--  496.00m 496.00m
  /dev/sde2  vol1      lvm2 a--  223.08g      0 
[donato@archdesktop ~]$ sudo lvs
  LV        VG        Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  Music-lv  ubuntu-vg -wi-ao---- 300.00g                                                    
  Videos-lv ubuntu-vg -wi-ao----   1.42t                                                    
  home      vol1      -wi-ao---- 177.08g                                                    
  root      vol1      -wi-ao----  30.00g                                                    
  swap      vol1      -wi-ao----  16.00g                                                    

I used vgreduce with the --removemissing flag to straighten out the volume group.

Then reboot. Smooth this time.
Post a Comment

Some Help You Are

Not all good motives end well. You thought you were doing somebody a favor but the other person is doing you mischief.