Skip to main content

The Find Command And the Apple Lossless Audio Codec

This began when I was listening to Rhythmbox over night. I listened to
music to sleep last night. I do it sometimes. But Rhythmbox stopped on a
particular album. I was listening Slowdive's Souvlaki and it would not
play any of the tracks. They're in .m4a format, otherwise referred to as
ALAC - Apple Lossless Audio Codec. Now there are other tracks in .m4a
format but Rhythmbox can play them. No problem.

A-P-P-L-E--damn you and DRM!

So like those people trooping to airports because of Trumps executive
orders, I just can't sleep. Not after reading about the 5 year old boy
separated from his mother at the airport for hours.

I opened the terminal and I want to list all the music tracks I have
that are in .m4a format. Most of what i listen to nowadays are in mp3's
or in ogg.

$find ~/Music -name *.m4a

There's about three artists and their albums in there that are in .m4a
format that refuses to play. No I won't surrender that quickly. So I
opened the tracks one by one in Audacity. I then exported the track from
ALAC to ogg, one click per track. This fight is worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.