Skip to main content

Morgan And Arrival: Two Films To Review

What kind of race are we? Are we naturally war-like, violent or peaceful and friendly? The answer would vary, from history and race and geography. Are we a failed race because of our disunity? Or are we denying our nature and impulses for violence?



Morgan is a film about a machine-human hybrid produced by a corporate entity for profit to produce a superior soldier. It stars Kate Mara and Anya Taylor-Joy (whose performance in The Witch is also noteworthy) as laboratory produced human hybrids. The interactions of Anya's Morgan character and her scientists-guardians are the films plot driver. There is constant reference to Helsinki which is I guess what happened to another similar effort by the company which failed. Helsinki being a metaphor to civilian scientists losing their detachment from their subject, or Helsinki being a metaphor to hostages shifting their loyalty to their captors.

Kate Mara's Lee character is introduced as a corporate agent of judgment. She is also an agent of execution. Also I find the comparison between Lee and Morgan regarding their intellect, social skills and physical power very interesting. Which one should have survived their encounter? Do I agree with the film's depiction of the victor? I feel that is where the film fails. I was searching for my feelings one way or the other and there's none.



Arrival is the story of a language expert recruited by the government to solve the mystery of aliens coming to earth in 12 ships. All over the world governments employed their own experts to try and communicate with the aliens. Amy Adams' Louise is a single woman who teaches in the university when the aliens arrived. The film isn't linear and there is a purpose to it. Louise theorized that the alien language isn't linear too. So we have a race of aliens that somehow know the beginning and end and so act accordingly. Louise tried to make sense of the alien message and it is: that the aliens are here to help us because 3,000 years down the road they are going to ask humans for help.

Even if you know the start and end of your journey, it still needs some amount of faith to take the trip. Why believe the message? Did Louise even translate it properly? I'm sure the aliens believe their message because they made the trip. But why should we? Unless it is shown to us with personal proof, human beings do not believe. Humans will only believe what they can understand. We understand when we can see and touch it. Close and personal. I understand why a lot of people are seeing Jesus in this movie. :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

New Converge ICT Plan Max with Sky Now

I pulled the trigger on Converge Max plan 400Mbps with Sky channels. I went to their sales office and asked for the upgrade. No charge at all and they didn't ask me to return the old modem. It looks like they will pull it when they install the new modem.e     It came with a black box for the TV. The configuration is easy but it took me 3 days to figure out the Wired connection. It should be fine except I have to jiggle it in the config (GUI). Turn 802.1x  on and off to finally connect.  Here's the speed for the Wired connection: