Skip to main content

An Unfortunate Series Of Events

First I got an email telling me of a fail event detected on my RAID
device. Then 12 minutes later a second email this time from SMART
monitoring complaining that one of my hard drives could not be opened.
There is a difference between a failed to open device and a failed
device situation.

So I verified these situations with the terminal. I verified the SMART
monitoring report.

#smartctl -a /dev/questionable-device

I verified the status of the RAID array.

#mdadm --detail /dev/md0

I have a degraded array, one device is removed and faulty. The device is
/dev/sdd. This is the 1TB hard
drive which is the oldest of the 4 I'm using.

I opened the black box. I pulled the SATA cables and examined them for
anything out of the ordinary. I put them back again. I opened the
terminal to check if I have access to the hard drives.

#smartctl -a /dev/all-the-drives

I added the faulty drive to the RAID array with:

#mdadm --manage --add /dev/md0 /dev/faulty-drive

I checked the status of the RAID array.

#cat /proc/mdstat

donato@desktop:~$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [linear] [multipath] [raid0]
[raid1] [raid10]
md0 : active raid5 sdd[3] sdb1[0] sdc1[1]
1953260544 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/2]
[UU_]
[=====>...............] recovery = 26.4% (257972512/976630272)
finish=104.2min speed=114919K/sec
bitmap: 6/8 pages [24KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices: <none>

I guess this time it's for real. The RAID array is rebuilding itself.
Back to my monitoring station then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

New Converge ICT Plan Max with Sky Now

I pulled the trigger on Converge Max plan 400Mbps with Sky channels. I went to their sales office and asked for the upgrade. No charge at all and they didn't ask me to return the old modem. It looks like they will pull it when they install the new modem.e     It came with a black box for the TV. The configuration is easy but it took me 3 days to figure out the Wired connection. It should be fine except I have to jiggle it in the config (GUI). Turn 802.1x  on and off to finally connect.  Here's the speed for the Wired connection: