Skip to main content

Booting: can't find 'linux', can't find 'initrd' Press any key when ready

I installed Fedora 23 alongside Ubuntu 16.04 on a dual boot configuration. Everything went fine until I reboot. I encounter this after the bios.

                         can't find 'linux'
                         can't find 'initrd'

                         press any key to continue...


Any option I choose, whichever operating system I click on it shows this text.

So I have to fix my GRUB. I tried to use my live CD of Ubuntu but my bios won't let me boot into it. So I pressed the DEL key to get into the ASUS motherboard bios set up. The good news is ASUS motherboards have never let me down. I'm on the bios set up trying to find which option will boot my USB device. Having found it, I boot into the installation media of Ubuntu 16.04. Now I can start fixing my GRUB. GRUB is the Grand Unified Bootloader. The problem here is that each distribution of linux modify their version of GRUB so they are now trying to compete with each other- Ubuntu's and Fedora's for the control of my computer. No, it's not as sinister as I make it sound like, but you get my point.

In the Ubuntu 16.04 installation media, where it let's you test drive their baby, I started the terminal and typed:

$sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
#this is to install the repository for boot-repair

$sudo apt install -y boot-repair
#to install boot-repair

Super-key+A to start boot-repair.

By the way, the live CD version of Ubuntu runs in memory, so once you end your session, any changes, any files you created while doing your business disappears.

It is working now. If you get a different result, running boot-repair gives you a pastebin URL. Do take note of it. You can email for support to: bootrepair@gmail.com. Be sure to link your email to the pastebin URL.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

New Converge ICT Plan Max with Sky Now

I pulled the trigger on Converge Max plan 400Mbps with Sky channels. I went to their sales office and asked for the upgrade. No charge at all and they didn't ask me to return the old modem. It looks like they will pull it when they install the new modem.e     It came with a black box for the TV. The configuration is easy but it took me 3 days to figure out the Wired connection. It should be fine except I have to jiggle it in the config (GUI). Turn 802.1x  on and off to finally connect.  Here's the speed for the Wired connection: