Skip to main content

Trying To Solve File Sharing Over Wifi Home Network

First, I installed Samba (and a bunch of dependencies) and followed the usual
configurations to enable shares. It turns out that Ubuntu has a GUI tool for this,
in Nautilus itself. So people like me can just right-click a folder.

If you don't have the necessary package for sharing files over LAN, Ubuntu will
give you a prompt. Nice of them.

I checked my router configuration. I have UPnP and File Sharing ticked. These
same configuration worked before with Fedora 23.

I checked my smartphone with Android 5 but my shares aren't showing up in
File browser even after a refresh or a scan of the network. Nope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.