Skip to main content

We Need To Take Back Our Emails

In light of the Snowden revelations about how government has thrown a very big net over our computing to gather data about us, I've grown interests on tools which can take back our privacy. I focused my efforts at emails. I know that it can be signed and encrypted, yes.

To sign emails, I don't mean that snippet of text (signature) below the message body. Signing the email requires you to generate a key pair- a public key and a private key. This key pair is unique and can be used to identify you in the digital world. I am not going to attempt to explain the mathematics of cryptology here, just this. It might be next to impossible to break it.

This key pair can also protect the integrity of files, emails and its attachments. Your email client can tell you if the message has been altered or corrupted. You will need an email client. You remember those right?

The easiest way to use key pairs is with an email client like Thunderbird, Kmail or Evolution. I use Linux by the way. I am trying this out using both Thunderbird and Evolution. I should tell you that this technology is cross platform. It is available in Windows, Mac OS and Linux. In Linux, the technology, Gnu Privacy Guard, is part of the core component of the operating system. All that is needed is for us to learn the front-ends and how to use our key pair.

Next are use cases...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZFS Unable to System Snapshot, bpool is Full?

I first encountered the problem after a routine update / upgrade of the system. Well there was a kernel upgrade and I have not checked how many old kernels are still left for backups in /boot. Apparently, there was a few and the partition is 85% full. Every software update included a warning because of the restriction in disk space. Also, zfs could not create snapshots. It is also full. This is not very clear to me. Snapshots were suppose to be diff copies so why would it take up a large space. Most of the snapshots are less than 2MB. Or 0MB. Another problem that popped up is the constant freezing of Rhythmbox. I don't know if the config files are corrupted. The CPU cycles from one to the next. Peaks for 5-6 seconds then on to the next CPU. This forced me to download Clementine and Audacious. But both applications do not find the zfs pool or don't show the zfs structure. Why not? My final solution is to reinstall Rhythmbox via snaps. I re-scanned the music libr

How To Verify iso Image After Download In Linux

I assume that you have downloaded the image / iso file in a folder. Navigate to the folder where the iso is. You have to get the public gpg key for fedora downloads. [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ ls builds  debian-live--9.0.0-amd64-gnome  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ cd Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ gpg --verify Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found. gpg: the signature could not be verified. Please remember that the signature file (.sig or .asc) should be the first file given on the command line. [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso

Renter's ID and Business Licensing 2023

Last year's business permit application involved an undertaking of submitting lessee list to the Barangay in order to get them ID's including one for the lessor himself. I received a letter of notification just before New Year's Day. It informed me that I might be denied renewal of permits because I did not comply with this undertaking. So the Renter's ID is a serious thing now. When I went ahead and applied for a business permit renewal at the local government office everything went well except they want my list of lessee. So I had to backtrack and go to the Barangay and submit the list. They produced the ID's and I provided the photo ID's and of course have it signed by the lessee. After that, they pointed me to the cashier to pay the taxes and permit fees which totaled php15,305.00 ($280.33) During the payment of Fire and Safety department, they reminded me to bring my fire extinguisher official receipts of payment. I can pick up my new pe