Skip to main content

Not The Way I Roll

Gmail offers you to configure your Inbox by activating tabs. I have my Inbox show starred, draft and a custom label by default. It is getting crowded if you ask me. So I tried it Google's way. When I went and clicked that cog icon, it gave me options to turn on the tabs feature. It has a set name for the tabs, Social, Promotions and Forums. These are the options for me, I don't know what the feature is offering for others. I suppose it is part of the personalization of the email.

I tried it for a while but I just had to turn it off and go back to my old Inbox. Why. First I could not change the name of the tabs. I suppose because Google itself chooses which email goes to what tab. For me, that's more inboxes, more complications, more trouble in finding my email. No.

Second, navigating to the tab I want to browse isn't as fast as before. It wasn't more convenient. I use keyboard shortcuts and not the mouse. I suppose if you were a "mouse person" you would find this more to your liking.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

New Converge ICT Plan Max with Sky Now

I pulled the trigger on Converge Max plan 400Mbps with Sky channels. I went to their sales office and asked for the upgrade. No charge at all and they didn't ask me to return the old modem. It looks like they will pull it when they install the new modem.e     It came with a black box for the TV. The configuration is easy but it took me 3 days to figure out the Wired connection. It should be fine except I have to jiggle it in the config (GUI). Turn 802.1x  on and off to finally connect.  Here's the speed for the Wired connection: