Skip to main content

Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Is Nice

Right after Mark Shuttleworth announced Unity will be used in Ubuntu as default shell on top of Gnome, I took it for a spin. I wondered about its lack of keyboard access and its impact on productivity. A lot happened since then and developers worked their butts off to make it work. When it was announced that the second beta is ready I downloaded it using Bittorrent. The install was smooth. I had to do some partitioning because I did not want to delete the old Maverick. Just in case.


Screenshot

My verdict is that Ubuntu 11.04 Natty will come out of its development cycle a winner. It's a solid 4/5. There are bugs still to be squashed. There are compiz freezes. In my opinion these are not show-stoppers. I want the 2D speed and smoothness in 3D though. Impressions during install: @findingdonato. I love the top bar shadow there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.