Skip to main content

Is It True That Linux is Virus Proof?

The short answer is No.  No existing operating system is malware proof.  But there is no significant threat of a Linux virus so far and there are a lot of people watching out for that. 

Whenever somebody hear Linux for the first time, this particular question is going to come up.  Invariably, this person is using Windows and their eyes go wide when they hear that a Linux machine is not affected by the latest Windows virus.  I also add of course that a Mac is also not affected by a Windows virus. 

Then comes the secondary question:  what sort of anti-virus do you use?  I don't know about other linux users but I don't use an anti-virus.  I don't use an anti-virus because the threat of a linux virus infecting my machine is insignificant. 

It is possible to infect a linux machine.  Maybe this light hearted article can show you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.