Skip to main content

It's A Kernel Regression

There is no easy way to install drivers in Linux.  I for one try to avoid it.  It could really mess things up especially graphics card drivers.  I only use Nvidia supported cards.  Do the homework before you purchase your new hardware.  The happy news is there are many many hardware that are now supported by the Linux kernel out of the box.  I really am surprised when somebody still have to manually install a driver in Linux.

Also if you are planning to add a printer, use HP.  It very friendly with Linux.

I have been wondering about the kernel updates a couple of days back.  Now it all make sense.  The Ubuntu security team just released a post that the second kernel update in two days is a kernel regression.

A kernel regression happens when a later update breaks a previous patch.  Happens when you try drive too fast I guess.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.