Skip to main content

When Pacman Creates Pacnew Files

If you are an Arch linux OS user for sometime, encounters with its package manager called pacman is usually a non-event. I mean if you have machines with Windows OS, any kind of update is usually a major chore not to mention headache. This experiences not withstanding pacman updates sometimes gives us warnings when it creates pacnew files. Sometimes new versions of packages carry with it a new default config file. What pacman does is it detects your existing config file and renames the new incoming one as *.pacnew

It is recommended that attention to these *.pacnew files be given and to compare them immediately with your existing config file. I use an application called 'Meld'. To install Meld use the command #pacman -S meld. It's in the main repositories.

What Meld does is graphically show you the differences between the two files. In this case, your existing config file and the *.pacnew file which pacman just created. Use your mouse and decide if the difference is important enough to be incorporated to your config file. Then save the config file. Do this with every *.pacnew instance you find. To find pacnew files use the locate command.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

New Converge ICT Plan Max with Sky Now

I pulled the trigger on Converge Max plan 400Mbps with Sky channels. I went to their sales office and asked for the upgrade. No charge at all and they didn't ask me to return the old modem. It looks like they will pull it when they install the new modem.e     It came with a black box for the TV. The configuration is easy but it took me 3 days to figure out the Wired connection. It should be fine except I have to jiggle it in the config (GUI). Turn 802.1x  on and off to finally connect.  Here's the speed for the Wired connection: