Skip to main content

openSUSE and Fedora on my Computer

openSuse or Fedora, which one to use? That is the question. I've been using both one way or the other after I removed Ubuntu 14.04 lts in my hard drive. I suppose I should test both operating systems thoroughly in my computer to see which one is better.

I installed Fedora core 20 three weeks ago then moved on to openSUSE 13.2-rc1. This is a limited test and a blindly subjective one at that so here goes. 

If you want an as close to the "devs-original" GNOME desktop experience, Fedora is what you want in your machine.  It has been default in Fedora for sometime now. The Fedora distribution doesn't try to be a jack-of-all-trade by having a "rolling release" as an alternative for you. They release when it's stable and ready. They update such a release fairly well. I have the newest stable kernel right now while waiting for the next stable release. Stability is the most important thing for me. 

I didn't see this the first time I tried the Fedora installer. Btrfs and xfs IS offered but not by default as in openSUSE. You could click on the dropdown button for choices in file systems during installation/partitioning. I highly recommend using Btrfs and xfs for newest installs of Linux. They're the next generation file systems capable of snapshots, self-healing and great scaling. For end-users the benefits of using them outweigh the annoyance of reformatting the hard drives. 

For those who have an aversion towards the command-line and the terminal, openSUSE is your bet. The level of use of graphical user interface for administrative tasks is very high. There's even a security checklist that's interactive. You can click on items and consider enabling it or read up for help about that issue, in one place.

openSUSE offers a lot on how you may want your Linux. There are the regular releases which is now at 13.1 (but I am testing 13.2.rc1). You could try "Tumbleweed", which is a rolling release for stable packages. In Tumbleweed the user is not limited to the repositories of one release (e.g. 12.3 or 13.1). You could also try "Factory"which is also a rolling release but largely untested packages land here, so be prepared to meet bugs.

Speaking of bugs, I really like Fedora's bug reporting tool which is very prompt. It notifies the user of the system error and asks if you want to report it. Once you click on Yes or No it doesn't nag you anymore. I mean I want to help and I don't mind sending the information with my limited internet connection but hey I'm working here. 

I'll add more items here as my testing progresses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZFS Unable to System Snapshot, bpool is Full?

I first encountered the problem after a routine update / upgrade of the system. Well there was a kernel upgrade and I have not checked how many old kernels are still left for backups in /boot. Apparently, there was a few and the partition is 85% full. Every software update included a warning because of the restriction in disk space. Also, zfs could not create snapshots. It is also full. This is not very clear to me. Snapshots were suppose to be diff copies so why would it take up a large space. Most of the snapshots are less than 2MB. Or 0MB. Another problem that popped up is the constant freezing of Rhythmbox. I don't know if the config files are corrupted. The CPU cycles from one to the next. Peaks for 5-6 seconds then on to the next CPU. This forced me to download Clementine and Audacious. But both applications do not find the zfs pool or don't show the zfs structure. Why not? My final solution is to reinstall Rhythmbox via snaps. I re-scanned the music libr

Renter's ID and Business Licensing 2023

Last year's business permit application involved an undertaking of submitting lessee list to the Barangay in order to get them ID's including one for the lessor himself. I received a letter of notification just before New Year's Day. It informed me that I might be denied renewal of permits because I did not comply with this undertaking. So the Renter's ID is a serious thing now. When I went ahead and applied for a business permit renewal at the local government office everything went well except they want my list of lessee. So I had to backtrack and go to the Barangay and submit the list. They produced the ID's and I provided the photo ID's and of course have it signed by the lessee. After that, they pointed me to the cashier to pay the taxes and permit fees which totaled php15,305.00 ($280.33) During the payment of Fire and Safety department, they reminded me to bring my fire extinguisher official receipts of payment. I can pick up my new pe

How To Verify iso Image After Download In Linux

I assume that you have downloaded the image / iso file in a folder. Navigate to the folder where the iso is. You have to get the public gpg key for fedora downloads. [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ ls builds  debian-live--9.0.0-amd64-gnome  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ cd Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ gpg --verify Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found. gpg: the signature could not be verified. Please remember that the signature file (.sig or .asc) should be the first file given on the command line. [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso