Skip to main content

Linux Users Aren't Afraid Of Text Commands

I saw the Update Manager icon so it has to be that my computer needed some downloading to do. But as soon as I hit the button for Update, the Updater crashes. I tried to restart the GUI frontend for APT in Ubuntu Unity but again it crashes.

What does a Linux user do if the GUI wont work?

He tries the Terminal, of course.  So type CNTRL+ALT-T to get to the Gnome terminal with the blinking cursor. Then update the system by typing:

$ sudo apt-get update

Afterwards type:

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

If it offers upgrades then hit the enter button. In my case I have a few packages that APT wants to hold back. I noted these packages. Then hit the enter button to proceed with the upgrade.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.