Skip to main content

Email Management and Work Interruptions

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }

How does work work for you?

 

 

I start out work by turning on my computer. I open my IM client (Empathy) and connect to the social websites which in my case is Twitter and Facebook. I also use an email client called Evolution (very much like Outlook in usability) to fetch and send my emails to and from the Gmail server. Everything is there-everything. Interruptions and distractions are always just around the corner.

 

I open an email, read the sender's name and then the message. Soon I'll be verifying what's on the message by opening a browser or a browser tab. Most probably I could be clicking a link found on the message itself. Most probably I could be looking at an image attachment. Most probably I could be watching a 5-minute video linked to by the message. I could be verifying a previous email mentioned in the message. The point is that a single email message could turn into a labyrinth.

 

The best advice I can give you is to be aware of the level of distractions you can afford. You should stop chasing down the rabbit hole if you've reached that satisfaction level. Keep your eye into finishing the unread stuff in your inbox. Use flags and bookmarks if you know a message needs to be answered right away. Don't answer it right away. Go back to it. Use custom folders where you can put priority emails.

 

How do you check people's identities? My first instincts teach me to go to my local addressbook. Evolution automatically stores contacts if I reply or send email to somebody. I check Facebook or Friendfeed, or your regular Google search.

 

It would help if you sync the desktop addressbook with your mobile contacts.

 

Do email search a lot.

 

Learn how to use email filters. This is easy when you use email clients. I like using email clients even as I use Gmail because I like playing around with the archives. If everything is in my hard drive I can do that. If it isn't in my email I would have to say it didn't happen. I tend to ignore something that's not in my email.

 

I also use feed readers because of my dependence on email. The feed reader is like a big net I throw to catch items staying around the fringes. Feed readers can also do search. You can also bookmark items you want to remember or highlight. Sometimes you discover feeds that belong in the mainstream. I subscribe to the feed's email list converting the feed into an email subscription. In reverse, email subscriptions can loose their relevance so I convert them to feeds.

 

If your contacts have blogs you can follow those blogs in your feed reader. Most blogging services can help you subscribe to other bloggers. For example, Posterous will get all updates to all the blogs you subcribe to and create a single RSS feed from that collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZFS Unable to System Snapshot, bpool is Full?

I first encountered the problem after a routine update / upgrade of the system. Well there was a kernel upgrade and I have not checked how many old kernels are still left for backups in /boot. Apparently, there was a few and the partition is 85% full. Every software update included a warning because of the restriction in disk space. Also, zfs could not create snapshots. It is also full. This is not very clear to me. Snapshots were suppose to be diff copies so why would it take up a large space. Most of the snapshots are less than 2MB. Or 0MB. Another problem that popped up is the constant freezing of Rhythmbox. I don't know if the config files are corrupted. The CPU cycles from one to the next. Peaks for 5-6 seconds then on to the next CPU. This forced me to download Clementine and Audacious. But both applications do not find the zfs pool or don't show the zfs structure. Why not? My final solution is to reinstall Rhythmbox via snaps. I re-scanned the music libr

Renter's ID and Business Licensing 2023

Last year's business permit application involved an undertaking of submitting lessee list to the Barangay in order to get them ID's including one for the lessor himself. I received a letter of notification just before New Year's Day. It informed me that I might be denied renewal of permits because I did not comply with this undertaking. So the Renter's ID is a serious thing now. When I went ahead and applied for a business permit renewal at the local government office everything went well except they want my list of lessee. So I had to backtrack and go to the Barangay and submit the list. They produced the ID's and I provided the photo ID's and of course have it signed by the lessee. After that, they pointed me to the cashier to pay the taxes and permit fees which totaled php15,305.00 ($280.33) During the payment of Fire and Safety department, they reminded me to bring my fire extinguisher official receipts of payment. I can pick up my new pe

How To Verify iso Image After Download In Linux

I assume that you have downloaded the image / iso file in a folder. Navigate to the folder where the iso is. You have to get the public gpg key for fedora downloads. [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ ls builds  debian-live--9.0.0-amd64-gnome  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ cd Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ gpg --verify Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found. gpg: the signature could not be verified. Please remember that the signature file (.sig or .asc) should be the first file given on the command line. [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso