Skip to main content

Open Source is Here

I began my computing with a windows machine. I installed Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000 and XP on my previous desktops. Finally, I switched to Ubuntu 6.10, the linux distro I chose as a linux newbie. There's nothing like installing your own operating system yourself and getting to know all the important hardware that goes into your pc.

The age of proprietary software is gone and Open Source is here. iPhone, Facebook and Linux owes its success to Open Source. They have become the platform in which developers offer their applications according to the principles of Open Source.

Then there's Cloud Computing that Google and IBM are developing into a major medium. What Cloud means to us consumers is that our data, settings and profiles, aah, even the operating system and its applications that we are going to use will not be residing in our local hard drives but in servers. IBM is building server farms that are energy efficient to handle storage and traffic. Google will be offering a service called Gdrive. Initially, they will be offering a free 25GB storage online for each user. The catch is the service's default operating system is a native Google OS. (but what's to stop me from changing to another OS? Open Source indeed!).

The march of the penguin is continuing. Even Micro$oft is using the same Open Source tactics. They offered 2.5 million free downloads of their newest os called Windows 7 beta 1 last week. Reminder though, it's a beta version and they do not give us, consumers, a guarantee that this operating system will remain free.

So the question remains: Why would you want to pay for another operating system if there is a better alternative that's guaranteed free?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

New Converge ICT Plan Max with Sky Now

I pulled the trigger on Converge Max plan 400Mbps with Sky channels. I went to their sales office and asked for the upgrade. No charge at all and they didn't ask me to return the old modem. It looks like they will pull it when they install the new modem.e     It came with a black box for the TV. The configuration is easy but it took me 3 days to figure out the Wired connection. It should be fine except I have to jiggle it in the config (GUI). Turn 802.1x  on and off to finally connect.  Here's the speed for the Wired connection: