Skip to main content

Updates and Upgrades

I really like Converge ICT my ISP, my Internet provider. I got it last year April. After barely seven months of the initial base plan I applied to have a speed upgrade to 300 Mbps. They notified me that they are working on it. I thought that because of the lockdown it is going to take some time. No. Within days I am getting 590 Mbps downloads and 300 Mbps uploads. My Statement of Account, my bill, meanwhile remained the same.  So after four months of enjoying fast speeds and not getting billed for the upgrade plan, my "correct" bill arrives by email.  They welcomed me to the new plan and here's your official bill thank you. 

I used to post every upgrade to software in Linux. I am more interested in amazing stuff. Like when such changes prove to be an addition to more efficiency and stability across the board. Like what? Like bluetooth in linux, like printers in linux and like ZFS. ZFS is new and experimental but I've been using it for two years now. I love it. My data love it. 

My Metrobank Mastercard was delivered April 30th. My first credit card. It came on the second year of the pandemic and brought convenience to purchasing online stuff. It gave me some amount of time from getting stuff and actually paying for them. I haven't tried the installment payments yet. Everything so far is straight forward. I pay the total amount due on the due date. I also use a number of e-wallets now. From Paymaya to Gcash, and in between are Coins.ph and Paypal. Of course Lazada and Shopee both have e-wallets of their own. Social Security System has embraced e-wallets and online transactions. Spurred on by the pandemic and lockdowns. My RCBC Visa was approved November last year. This on the heels of my Mastercard credit limit increase. They doubled it after seven months of use. I must be doing something right or something they like. Like paying what I owe them. Right.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

New Converge ICT Plan Max with Sky Now

I pulled the trigger on Converge Max plan 400Mbps with Sky channels. I went to their sales office and asked for the upgrade. No charge at all and they didn't ask me to return the old modem. It looks like they will pull it when they install the new modem.e     It came with a black box for the TV. The configuration is easy but it took me 3 days to figure out the Wired connection. It should be fine except I have to jiggle it in the config (GUI). Turn 802.1x  on and off to finally connect.  Here's the speed for the Wired connection: