Skip to main content

From Ultera To Pocket Wifi To Home Fiber

I have been sending application requests to PLDT for their Home Fiber all year 2020. The first two applications end with - we're sorry but Fiber is not available in your current location. I even entertained switching Internet providers and sent applications to Globe or even Sky. Sky happen to be a company close to ABS-CBN which was losing their franchise. Globe reps made a valiant try but installation was fettered by a lack of available boxes to which they will connect my house. They advised me to try applying again later perhaps when they have enough of their boxes hopefully closer to my house. 

When November came, events began happening fast. First PLDT is ending support for ULTERA. It means I can't expect online support and I can't get help from the hotline number 171 and *1888 if my call even gets through. The twitter DM for which I depend on forwards a message that "all ULTERA concerns are strictly over-the-counter". I have to go to PLDT aftersales people to get help. Luckily, I can do it virtually or get an appointment ahead of going personally to their offices. Yes, physically going there in the time of restricted travel because of the Covid-19 public health issue. 

Then around the same time, PLDT opened a window. Accidentally checking their website, I tried to check if their Home Fiber is now available in my neighborhood. I was pleasantly surprised to be congratulated after entering my location. So I quickly fired and filled up the online application form. I sent it last November 20 and they acknowledged that application a few days later. The validation process turned up an old landline account balance which I settled as soon as possible. 

Two weeks into the application process, ULTERA stopped working. After 4 days I went to PLDT aftersales  and was advised to close the ULTERA account. I bought a pocket wifi modem for 995.00 preloaded with 10GB which I can use now. 

I just got an email and an sms from PLDT that my application is proceeding to the survey phase. It has been 22 days. I am holding them to their promise to "contact me withing 7 days to schedule the installation". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZFS Unable to System Snapshot, bpool is Full?

I first encountered the problem after a routine update / upgrade of the system. Well there was a kernel upgrade and I have not checked how many old kernels are still left for backups in /boot. Apparently, there was a few and the partition is 85% full. Every software update included a warning because of the restriction in disk space. Also, zfs could not create snapshots. It is also full. This is not very clear to me. Snapshots were suppose to be diff copies so why would it take up a large space. Most of the snapshots are less than 2MB. Or 0MB. Another problem that popped up is the constant freezing of Rhythmbox. I don't know if the config files are corrupted. The CPU cycles from one to the next. Peaks for 5-6 seconds then on to the next CPU. This forced me to download Clementine and Audacious. But both applications do not find the zfs pool or don't show the zfs structure. Why not? My final solution is to reinstall Rhythmbox via snaps. I re-scanned the music libr

Renter's ID and Business Licensing 2023

Last year's business permit application involved an undertaking of submitting lessee list to the Barangay in order to get them ID's including one for the lessor himself. I received a letter of notification just before New Year's Day. It informed me that I might be denied renewal of permits because I did not comply with this undertaking. So the Renter's ID is a serious thing now. When I went ahead and applied for a business permit renewal at the local government office everything went well except they want my list of lessee. So I had to backtrack and go to the Barangay and submit the list. They produced the ID's and I provided the photo ID's and of course have it signed by the lessee. After that, they pointed me to the cashier to pay the taxes and permit fees which totaled php15,305.00 ($280.33) During the payment of Fire and Safety department, they reminded me to bring my fire extinguisher official receipts of payment. I can pick up my new pe

Check rkhunter warnings For Deleted Files

logfile- /var/log/rkhunter.log starts [partial starts] [19:18:58] Info: Starting test name 'malware' [19:18:58] Performing malware checks [19:18:58] [19:18:58] Info: Starting test name 'deleted_files' [19:19:35]   Checking running processes for deleted files    [ Warning ] [19:19:35] Warning: The following processes are using deleted files: [19:19:35]          Process: /usr/bin/pulseaudio    PID: 784    File: /memfd:pulseaudio [19:19:35]          Process: /usr/bin/gnome-shell    PID: 1151    File: /tmp/mutter-shared-67ER4Y [19:19:35]          Process: /usr/bin/pulseaudio    PID: 1173    File: /memfd:pulseaudio [19:19:35]          Process: /usr/lib/evolution-data-server/evolution-source-registry    PID: 1194    File: /home/donato/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/home [19:19:35]          Process: /usr/bin/python2.7    PID: 1472    File: /tmp/vteZY4V4Y [19:19:35]          Process: /usr/bin/megasync    PID: 1484    File: /run/user/1000/wayland-cursor-shared-t6KVCM [19:19:35]