Skip to main content

From Ultera To Pocket Wifi To Home Fiber

I have been sending application requests to PLDT for their Home Fiber all year 2020. The first two applications end with - we're sorry but Fiber is not available in your current location. I even entertained switching Internet providers and sent applications to Globe or even Sky. Sky happen to be a company close to ABS-CBN which was losing their franchise. Globe reps made a valiant try but installation was fettered by a lack of available boxes to which they will connect my house. They advised me to try applying again later perhaps when they have enough of their boxes hopefully closer to my house. 

When November came, events began happening fast. First PLDT is ending support for ULTERA. It means I can't expect online support and I can't get help from the hotline number 171 and *1888 if my call even gets through. The twitter DM for which I depend on forwards a message that "all ULTERA concerns are strictly over-the-counter". I have to go to PLDT aftersales people to get help. Luckily, I can do it virtually or get an appointment ahead of going personally to their offices. Yes, physically going there in the time of restricted travel because of the Covid-19 public health issue. 

Then around the same time, PLDT opened a window. Accidentally checking their website, I tried to check if their Home Fiber is now available in my neighborhood. I was pleasantly surprised to be congratulated after entering my location. So I quickly fired and filled up the online application form. I sent it last November 20 and they acknowledged that application a few days later. The validation process turned up an old landline account balance which I settled as soon as possible. 

Two weeks into the application process, ULTERA stopped working. After 4 days I went to PLDT aftersales  and was advised to close the ULTERA account. I bought a pocket wifi modem for 995.00 preloaded with 10GB which I can use now. 

I just got an email and an sms from PLDT that my application is proceeding to the survey phase. It has been 22 days. I am holding them to their promise to "contact me withing 7 days to schedule the installation". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.