Skip to main content

Using The Zenfone 5: The First Week

I had a big problem with migrating to the new phone. The Zenfone 5 ZE620KL uses a nano sim. I figured I can cut the micro sim which I used with the old Zenfone 2. I think I might have overestimated my skill at trimming it. So I had to go to a cellphone repair shop for it. The repair guy salvaged the globe sim but the smart sim is damaged. I had to make a trip to the official Smart shop at Sta. Lucia annex. They had to ask some questions about my sim and account but I passed. I own this sim and number.

They provided an upgraded LTE (4G) sim with the same number for me. Thank you Smart staff.

At the end of the day I have the Smart sim 4G ready that my contacts already know and the Globe sim as backup for contacts with globe sims too. I use the smart sim for data connections. I have the wifi in the house for most browsing and downloads.

It took about two days for all the apps to migrate and update for the new phone. Some apps like the Asus email app isn't as good as it was in the old phone. Different android version you think? I love the Asus Email app but, maybe after some updates, I'll be using the Gmail app instead.

What do I think about the AI powered Zenfone? Is there real benchmarks out there that proves using the AI makes the Zenfone 5 better? My impression is that the phone fails or succeeds on its own hardware and software and that means without the AI. The AI concept is probably better used in the Assistant than running the apps for the user. The user deserves to make decisions not the AI.

I used the Asus Music app in the old Zenfone. Google Play tells me it isn't compatible with Zenfone 5. I'm using Google Music now. It's either this or Spotify. Spotify sucks at detecting my local library tracks. Zenfone 5 has a Tuning Wizard and I recommend you enable and use it customize the sound in your phone.

The finger print login / authentication works well. I have yet to try the face recognition feature.

The camera lacks some of the features in the old Zenfone or maybe they figured that nobody uses it so dropped it in Zenfone 5. I'm using the Asus Camera here which is what I use the old zenfone. The dual camera system works well even in low light.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.