Skip to main content

More On Using the Asus Zenfone 5 - The First Week

I was able to do a backup and restore of my call logs and contacts. Get the old Android device and the new Android device paired. Using bluetooth to transfer the backup file. In the old device open the app - Contacts and Phone apps. Go to Settings. Find and click Backup and Send Out to device. Then choose Bluetooth and then choose the new device as it is detected. On the new device, the backup file is automatically restored to its respective app. If not, open the particular app on the new device then navigate to the bluetooth download directory. Choose the backup file.

I was able to set up, enable and test face recognition on the Asus Zenfone 5 ZE620KL. Go to Settings, just click the wheel icon on the top right of the panel. Go to Security And Lock Screen, click on Face Recognition. Make sure you're in a well lighted location. Just hold the device at arms length to your face. My test result is 8 out 10 successes. Certainly fingerprint login is more consistent and faster.

I like ZenUI and I'm not going to a debate about this and stock Android right now. With ZenUI I enabled some gestures and motions that enable me to double-tap to wake and put the screen to sleep. I was used to this motion in the old device. It saves battery life. 

Speaking of battery life, enabling Bluetooth, NFC, Wifi scanning and location services will drain the battery and considerably shorten the life of the battery. Zenfone 5 also has Report Location and sets GPS function. Using Wifi, Data network and GPS for reporting location to apps and also for emergency situation. You can set the device to report the location to a preset group of contacts or an emergency number.

I want to go back to fingerprint login. I have an app for encrypted keys and password database. This keepass implementation for android is compatible with fingerprint login. This means I can perform fingerprint scan to open the database if I need my password for a site. A site like my online bank or a shopping site that needs to be secured for financial transactions benefits in terms of convenience and speed of login.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.