Skip to main content

Connections With My Dead Father

I woke up at night wanting to turn off the electric fan because it is colder by about 5 degrees at around 3 am now that it's July here in the Philippines. I'm a 46 year old man with a stage 1 hypertension just like my father before me. The elevated blood pressure comes with the males in my family. I am overweight by 30 lbs..but these are not the connections to my father which I want to write about.

I sat at the side of the bed measuring the distance between the desk fan and me. It's barely 3 feet at 10 o clock. I can't will my feet. I can't raise them to make that first step towards the fan. I ended up anchoring myself to the wall with my two arms to catch what is apparently a fall.

I had to freeze myself on this position and get my blood circulation to my lower extremities flowing. I proceeded to raise one leg then the other as if I'm trying to march like a Red Guard at Lenin Square. After a few repeats I graduated to a stationary jog. I felt the natural urge to move now and turn my desk fan off before I freeze to death in mid-July.

Ten years ago I was taking care of my father who suffered a stroke that left him less mobile than his 76 year old body promised him. I found him once with a bloody head gash down on the floor. Apparently, he had attempted to raise himself up from bed and got out of his room. Maybe he heard the tv set outside where the rest of the family is. Maybe he wanted to do some stationary jogs like I did. Maybe he just longed for some human interaction after that terrible stroke left him mostly in his room.

I stitched him up. I think he was sorry for making us worry about the whole thing. Am I making sense with this post? Sure. I'm typing this in the middle of the night with the Grateful Dead playing in the background. What could be more logical?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZFS Unable to System Snapshot, bpool is Full?

I first encountered the problem after a routine update / upgrade of the system. Well there was a kernel upgrade and I have not checked how many old kernels are still left for backups in /boot. Apparently, there was a few and the partition is 85% full. Every software update included a warning because of the restriction in disk space. Also, zfs could not create snapshots. It is also full. This is not very clear to me. Snapshots were suppose to be diff copies so why would it take up a large space. Most of the snapshots are less than 2MB. Or 0MB. Another problem that popped up is the constant freezing of Rhythmbox. I don't know if the config files are corrupted. The CPU cycles from one to the next. Peaks for 5-6 seconds then on to the next CPU. This forced me to download Clementine and Audacious. But both applications do not find the zfs pool or don't show the zfs structure. Why not? My final solution is to reinstall Rhythmbox via snaps. I re-scanned the music libr

Renter's ID and Business Licensing 2023

Last year's business permit application involved an undertaking of submitting lessee list to the Barangay in order to get them ID's including one for the lessor himself. I received a letter of notification just before New Year's Day. It informed me that I might be denied renewal of permits because I did not comply with this undertaking. So the Renter's ID is a serious thing now. When I went ahead and applied for a business permit renewal at the local government office everything went well except they want my list of lessee. So I had to backtrack and go to the Barangay and submit the list. They produced the ID's and I provided the photo ID's and of course have it signed by the lessee. After that, they pointed me to the cashier to pay the taxes and permit fees which totaled php15,305.00 ($280.33) During the payment of Fire and Safety department, they reminded me to bring my fire extinguisher official receipts of payment. I can pick up my new pe

How To Verify iso Image After Download In Linux

I assume that you have downloaded the image / iso file in a folder. Navigate to the folder where the iso is. You have to get the public gpg key for fedora downloads. [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ ls builds  debian-live--9.0.0-amd64-gnome  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Downloads]$ cd Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26 [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ gpg --verify Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found. gpg: the signature could not be verified. Please remember that the signature file (.sig or .asc) should be the first file given on the command line. [ donato@archdesktop Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26]$ ls Fedora-Workstation-26-1.5-x86_64-CHECKSUM  Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-26-1.5.iso