Skip to main content

Tests, Preparedness and the Boy Scouts

"Be prepared" is the motto of the Boy Scouts and I agree.  So I tested how my network of messaging works.  I have a mobile phone that can send mms, sms and connect to the internet.  It can send email.  SMS and voice calls are pretty much one on one.  What you have to check here is the ubiquity and security of your contact list.  Is the addressbook backed up?  You may want to check if you can access this contact file in multiple locations.  To accomplish this you can save it in your cloud service.  I have been using Dropbox and Ubuntu One for that. 

The previous post is a test sent from my mobile phone to my blogs.  I first sent an MMS.  I have Smart as my mobile service provider.  After several minutes later, I sent an email post with attachment to the blogs using my mobile phone.  These latter action delivered first and appeared on my blogs right away.  My blogs are using dlvr.it which is a service that dellivers new posts to destinations like Twitter and Facebook. 

And so well within the 15 minute threshold, my Twitter account received the tweet of the new posts.  My facebook account received the updates also within the 15 minutes promised by the service. 

What about the MMS I sent before the emails? 

They too posted although several minutes later than the ones done through the emails.  The explanation is that Smart, my mobile service, actually puts MMS sent to a service que if you like.  They charge 10 pesos for the email connection and 2.50 pesos each MMS sent in my mobile phone.  So because MMS service is "shared" it is cheaper. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.