Skip to main content

Booting Issues With Arch

Most Linux distros are transparent when it comes to their booting process. Users actually see the process as it scrolls down lines and text before it presents a login screen. This is more so in Arch. What I see on the screen is systemd checking the file systems as listed in my /etc/fstab file. All is fine when you see a green colored OK to the left of the line. What I read was the word "failed" somewhere and the next thing I knew was I was being kicked into an emergency shell.

Happened to me before, I said. But then it tells me my root account is locked. I forgot for a while that I did lock the root account because I was told it is a secuity risk and I did not need to keep a root account. I can just use sudo they said. I now find myself with an aborted boot process, on a console and I can't open the root account to do some troubleshooting with my system. What's worse is I'm in this loop where this script is trying to help me by suggesting I press Enter. And when I press it, it tells me my root account is locked.

It is time to stop this.

I brought my live USB. I think I made this rescue slash live USB two months ago. The kernel is <5.0. I had to modify the hardware's boot defaults so I can boot to the live medium. It gets better. I put a password to my motherboard's settings. I smile because how in the world did I remember my motherboard password? I may have used it twice.

In the live medium, I mounted the boot device and arch-chroot to it. Then I modified the /etc/fstab so I can just boot to the root directory and not bother with the other failing partitions for now. Saved the changes. Reboot. Once in the graphic environment, I run fsck for the failing partitions. More than once; until they can be mounted. Modified /etc/fstab back to the way it once was, saved it. I am scared to reboot right now. But here goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.