Skip to main content

GS connect Connects Your Android Device And GNOME Desktop

Do you want to get message notifications from your smartphone to your desktop? Do you want to control your music player in the desktop while away from it and you have your smartphone in hand?

andyholmes contributions to this github code is what I have been looking for since getting my new android device. Hello to the wonderful world of open source and thank you to the developers who worked on this. 

The link above is a list of questions frequently asked about GS connect. My device is an Asus Zenfone 5 with android 8.0. My computer uses linux kernel 4.18.5 on Arch linux. I have Gnome 3.28 as my desktop environment. 

I found out about GS connect during a search about a totally different thing. But the first thing you should ask yourself is if you really want to connect your android device to your desktop or laptop. If the answer is yes, then you should download and install the gnome-shell-extension for G S connect. You have to enable the plugins for each feature you want. 

You will have to open ports 1616 to 1664. I opened port 1616 and it works.

On your android phone download and install KDE connect from the Google Play store. You have to pair the host/desktop to the device. The desktop and the device must be connected to the same network/wifi.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.