Skip to main content

I Forgot My Password

Today's digital world is guarded by keys. Keys in the form of passwords or passphrases or whatever you want to call it. It's about 12 to 15 characters long and without it you lose access to information and communication. You even lose proof of identity.

I use Linux and occasionally I forget my administrative password. Here's how to recover from such tragedies.

Reboot your computer.

Hold the shift key to get to the GRUB menu. What you are after is to boot to the recovery mode of your kernel. Once the menus presents itself use the arrow keys to highlight the particular kernel (recovery mode) and hit enter.

You want to be root and again just highlight the particular item on the menu presented. Then press enter. It should drop you to a shell like so:

root@desktop:#

You are now in a read-only file. To change that type:

root@desktop:#mount -rw -o remount /

Then to set a password for a user type:

root@desktop:#passwd username

Type the new Unix password:

Retype the new Unix password:

And that's it. Reboot once more. Use the new password to login.


--
Donato Roque@desktop
mobile:   63-9185721710
I'm on twitter and facebook. Check out my blog.
Consider using my pgp keys for privacy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.