Skip to main content
06.05.2009 16:30:15

When I was migrating from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu in
particular) my computer was on a dual boot. I wanted a
smooth transition and not sacrifice productivity for the
sake of migrating to a new operating system. After a month
of that set up, I deleted the windows system and gave the
whole drive to Linux. I never worked with windows since.

Now I know that some must have WINE on their systems
in order to use particular applications that run only on
windows. It can't be helped.

The ultimate success of users hinges on their conscious
decisions about using open source software. They can't just
sit on the fence. Eventually, they'll fall. Either they
fall on their two feet or on their backs, depending on
choices they make.

Windows and Linux are fundamentally different. The
look, the feel and the way they operate is different.
Speaking from the Linux side of the fence now, I have to
emphasize on the differences. Linux must succeed on its
own merits. Which means that for some people Linux wont
ever work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appindicator In Natty Ubuntu 11.04

Previously ranted about the blind alley Ubuntu 11.04 seemed to be leading us when it comes to some applications not being ready yet for the dropping of system tray.  What I should have done is press on. There are posts about editing a white list with a recommended GUI tool to help us out here , here and here . Like everything in Linux, there's a configuration file for it, if you can find it and if you have the inclination to go ninja. If not then there's dconf-editor. Download dconf-tools from Software Center. Navigate to desktop>unity>panel. Add your application in the white list. Then close the window. No save button. mmm. So far I have added Shutter, Dropbox and Keepassx in the white list.                Before...  After.

Evolution Mail on GNOME 3.26

There's a slight change in the user interface. A To Do column now appears to the rightmost after the GNOME 3.26 update. Also there's a noticeable stability increase, what with goa-daemon stopping its RAM usage creep. I don't have to kill it every couple of hours.

Jose Rizal, December 30, 1896 Execution by firing squad

From a photograph by Manuel Arias Rodriguez. He was executed for the crime of rebellion.